Associate Director of Health
Located in Denver, CO or Washington, DC
Quantified Ventures exists to support the progress of the social enterprise community through social impact investing. We work with nonprofit organizations, entrepreneurs, health plans, health systems, and governments who demonstrate capacity for transformative social good, helping them to tap into the financial resources needed to sufficiently scale operations and deliver meaningful impact. We do this primarily through Pay for Success (PFS), also known as Social Impact Bond (SIB), transactions. By negotiating purposeful partnerships between leaders across sectors, we are able to accelerate funding that will result in greater societal benefits. Our clients are empowered with the confidence to make informed, insightful business decisions - knowing exactly what investments will and won’t work, and why.
Our PFS service offering in the healthcare vertical involves working with private and nonprofit service providers, Medicare and Medicaid health plans, health systems, large employers, and governments to design and execute PFS projects, from due diligence through project close.
Prospect due diligence: Quantified Ventures seeks high-quality projects with clients who have a realistic opportunity to be successful in structuring a PFS project. We analyze their business operations, target market working experience, growth strategy, and other areas before determining whether to work with a prospect.
Feasibility assessments: Ensuring service provider and payor readiness to participate in outcomes-based contracts. The major components of this phase of work include defining the intervention, target population, geography, budget, outcomes, and investor risk, with the goal of providing clients with a transparent and accurate assessment as to whether PFS, or perhaps another funding model, is the best funding option to scale the desired intervention.
Regulatory and compliance analysis: In the government-sponsored healthcare space, ensuring that financial transactions are fully compliant with State and, in some cases, Federal regulations is vital in mitigating investor and project. A core element of the feasibility phase and transaction structuring phase is a thorough regulatory and compliance analysis with client and external stakeholders.
Project management and transaction structuring: A major role of structuring a PFS transaction involves managing multiple stakeholders with differing priorities and levels of project readiness. Moving each stakeholder through our methodology while being attentive, responsive, and flexible to their individual needs is a requirement to efficiently structure a transaction.
Evaluation design: Determining with the stakeholders the desired level of rigor to evaluate the effectiveness of the project. There are pluses and minuses to various evaluation approaches that will impact the project budget, timeline, and ability to achieve lasting policy change. Understanding the differences and guiding the stakeholders to the best approach for the specific project is critical. Managing the independent evaluation designer to project timeline and expectations is expected.
Financial modeling and outcomes pricing: Quantified Ventures’ deal structuring team leads the financial modeling of the transaction. Developing a robust budget required to enable scale and project success is an early step that we conduct with our service provider clients. Layering on projected outcomes, timelines, outcomes effect sizes, and projected cost savings leveraging payor historical data to establish baselines is required for a robust, and investor-grade transaction model. Understanding the necessary inputs and managing the iteration of the model as key project decisions are made will be an ongoing process throughout the transaction structuring phase through the closing of the investment.
Capital Raising: Quantified Ventures advises social enterprises in preparing for and attracting impact investment capital. We help our clients develop robust growth plans, prioritize and reach out to potential investors, and advise on term negotiations with the goal of raising the required capital to scale interventions and social impact.
Post-project launch management: Once the capital is secured, the project begins. While much of Quantified Ventures’ work is related to structuring investable projects, there is a large role that we play in ensuring the ongoing success of the project by managing to contract and evaluation model while knowing when to adjust course to maximize the likelihood of achieving outcomes.
rOLE and Responsibilities
The Associate Director of Health will play an instrumental role within the rapidly growing Quantified Ventures team. Specifically, this position will contribute to the growth and development of all areas of the healthcare vertical of the business including strategy, business development and sales, product development, client service delivery, operations, and marketing.
- Managing client delivery teams who are responsible for the following:
- Conducting due diligence on prospects and potential PFS project stakeholders;
- Conducting research on client issue areas
- Identifying and/or developing scalable and compliant interventions;
- Management of evaluation partners;
- Drafting program and/or intervention budgets;
- Building economic models to price outcomes and predict future revenues, savings, and/or cash flows;
- Facilitating and supporting client working sessions;
- Developing, drafting, and negotiating financing terms and structuring;
- Leading investor outreach and syndication process, and;
- Managing all aspects of the client delivery process for a significant portion of Quantified Ventures’ portfolio of health clients. This includes time and resource budgeting, timeline management, deliverable preparation, client and stakeholder management, invoice and expenses accuracy oversight and contract management.
- Supporting business development activities as a subject matter expert. Support includes drafting proposals, preparing and delivering pitch presentations, speaking engagements, and enhancing our industry presence and thought leadership through drafting white papers and blogs, and participation and networking at industry conferences.
Quantified Ventures is a fast-paced, creative, supportive, and collaborative environment that keeps clients’ needs front and center. We are seeking entrepreneurial candidates with the drive, can-do attitude, creativity, commitment to innovation, and attention to detail to help the Quantified Ventures team advance its mission. More specifically, candidates must have:
- 6+ years of direct healthcare industry experience in the areas of finance, policy, compliance, or strategy;
- Graduate degree (MBA, MPH, and/or MPP) preferred;
- Expertise in Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel;
- Strong research capabilities and quantitative skills, and an ability to manage others engaged in this type of work;
- Excellent written communications skills, including the ability to quickly research, synthesize, and summarize critical findings on unfamiliar topics;
- Exceptional oral communications skills;
- Strong healthcare experience in the areas of compliance, policy, or operations;
- Relationships with CMS, HHS, Managed Care Organizations, health systems, and state Medicaid departments preferred;
- Deep understanding of value-based care, Medicare, and Medicaid;
- Understanding of social and non-medical determinants of health;
- An ability to manage multiple and competing projects independently and simultaneously;
- Experience in managing strong teams of thoughtful, creative, passionate, analytical, diverse, hard-working and independent-minded professionals;
- Ability to manage the work of others in such a manner that leverages the strengths of each team member, unleashes their full potential towards the advancement of client objectives, and fosters an environment of collaboration and shared success;
- A keen ability to know when to ask for help and when to keep moving forward without guidance;
- Willingness and ability to express contrary views and seek consensus against other priorities such as time and budget constraints;
- Top-notch listening and communications skills;
- An ability to bring humor, joy and humility into this groundbreaking work, and;
- Passion for advancing the PFS field.
Please send cover letter and resume to Brendan O’Connor (Quantified Ventures Impact Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Subject line: Director of Health, Washington, DC). Review of applications will begin immediately.
Quantified Ventures, LLC is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, or genetic information.